Upcoming AREA Event: Renewable Transport: Addressing NI's Challenges and Opportunities
Action Renewables Energy Association (AREA) is pleased to be hosting its latest event which aims to address challenges and opportunities for renewable transport in NI, taking place:
Lagan Valley Island, Lisburn, on the 13th of November from 10:00-13:00.
The transport sector in Northern Ireland accounts for one-third of the total energy consumption. 94% of which is associated with petrol and diesel in road vehicles, including; cars, vans and trucks.
Following two roundtable discussions, held in Newry and Belfast, a number of themes for renewable transport in Northern Ireland have been identified. These include the following challenges and opportunities; a requirement in behavioural change and education, the various costs to make these changes, the policy vacuum that currently exists in NI and what sort of infrastructure that would be required to facilitate a move to a low-carbon future.
The outline agenda for the day is:
• Welcome from Action Renewables Energy Association
• Changing behaviour with better transport planning (Peter Morrow - AECOM)
• Carbon-free trucking – delivering loads from Cavan to Caen (James Cole - Virginia Logistics)
• How Northern Ireland can lead Europe with hydrogen transport (Ian Williamson - HyEnergy)
• Investing in EV charging forecourts for the future (Sebastian Street - GRIDSERVE)
• Q&A/discussion (All speakers)
• Closing remarks (Ian Gordon – AREA)
Plus, other speakers to be announced.
There will also be an opportunity to ask speakers questions and voice your opinions about the challenges and opportunities Northern Ireland faces on its transition towards the use of renewable transport.
While there is free parking at the Lagan Valley Island venue, we would encourage as many people as possible to use sustainable transport. Lisburn has great bus and rail links, with both stations being around half a mile walk from the venue. Translink’s journey planner can assist with planning your route. Directions to the venue can be found here.